Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Foot fail or Heel-tabulous?

There are so many different types of heels and great shoes on the market that it totally frustrates me to see women in ugly shoes. For me fashion and beauty is a total expression of joy! You should make it a practice to stop just saving your joyful expression for a night out on the town. You really have to start looking at your shoe closet so that you can figure out what you have that is amazing and where you need to start revamping.

Maybe you are happy with your current state of wardrobe or accessory collection but you have noticed that your shoe collection is lacking. Well girlfriend I would advise you to stop the ugly shoe madness! Update, upgrade and revamp from the tip to the top of your shoe wardrobe. I would begin with your work shoes while slowly working your way around to those ugly house slippers as well as your athletic shoes. Many people do not realize that athletic shoes actually have a shelf life so it is important to refresh your shoe closet.

You may just think about it from a perspective of fashion but you really have to consider your foot health. The American Association for Women Podiatrists recently published an article called High Heels - High Fashion that can Hurt Your Feet. ( http://americanwomenpodiatrists.com/foot-health-info.htm )  It is a great article and really got me thinking about the fact that we often buy shoes for the value of fashion but forget to value the feet that are walking in them. Reasons why you have to keep an eye on your shoe collection so that as you update you can really think about the long term effect on your foot. Fashionable heels will never go out of style but you can create a great base of shoes that are glam with a touch of comfort.

Dr. Reid who is the podiatrist quoted in the article gives some incredible tips like doing stretching exercises after wearing heels and testing your heels in the store. These are basic things that we have children do in the store like walk down the isle or stand on one foot to test the shoe's stability. Truth be told as you grow up you forget how important that is to your general foot health to have a sense of stability. I feel that the simple habits you form while shopping will aid in the longevity of  your fashion-ability as well as your health.

You and I both know that rocking a hot pair of heels is one of the most incredible things any woman can do. Especially when we get tons of compliments. Two companies I would recommend for a shoe that is fashionable yet full of comfort are Cole Haan and Vince Camuto. Cole Haan is a Nike off shoot brand and has some great work appropriate styles that will keep you looking great with tons of comfort. I had a great experience at their flag ship store several years ago. On the other hand Vince Camuto is my lifestyle brand. I live work and play in everything Vince!

Depending on my bookings for the day I may have to do everything from meetings to one on one sessions or photo shoots all in one day. The list can be endless but at the end of the day I have to look fabulous getting it done. So one of my suggestions would be to find a brand that really fits your lifestyle as well as your feet. Several years ago while I was working in San Antonio I had to run to a department store to grab a couple of pairs of heels for a gala. I picked up my first pair of Vince Camuto heels and over the years I have also realized that their boots fit my weird leg better than any other as well. I have a smaller ankle and a muscular calf so I always have problems but I don't even have to try on a pair of their boots to know if they are going to fit which makes shopping faster.

A great fit leads to a great relationship with that amazing pair of shoes so be sure to buy only what you love. The most important advice I can give you besides picking a brand that fits your lifestyle is to be sure that you love everything from the fit to the design before you even put those heels in your closet. We don't want you to be the girl in the club who is trying to walk like her feet don't hurt.



Click this link to find a great list of key ways to check your shoes fit! 






No comments:

Post a Comment